On Hold Telephone Messages Are Effective Communication Tools
The rapid growth of the on-hold industry is not just coincidence. More and more, organizations are becoming aware of the need to have effective commercials while their phone customers are on hold. At the same time, companies are cutting costs and trying to do more with less human capital. The result has been increasing on hold ratios and times. Studies confirm the importance of effective commercials on hold:
- More than 70% of business phone calls are placed on hold for an average of 45 to 60 seconds each. 60% of the callers placed on hold hang up, and 30% of those that hang up never call back.
- 94% of advertising budgets are spent to induce a call and only 6% is spent to handle the call once it comes in.
NORTH AMERICAN TELECOM
- Callers with silence on hold will abandon their calls in less than 1 minute. 99% hang up within 40 seconds.
- Callers with on hold music will stay on the line 30 seconds longer than with silence.
- Callers with commercials on hold will stay on the line for up to 3 minutes longer.
US WEST COMMUNICATIONS STUDY
Providing commercials on hold results in:
- A 40% increase in retention of callers on hold.
- A 15% increase in inquiries.
- A 12% direct increase in requests for products and services mentioned in commercials on hold.
MORE ON HOLD PHONE FACTS
- The average executive spends 17 minutes per day on hold.
Office Team Survey
- The average person spends 60 hours a year on hold.
- 55 seconds is the national average hold time for companies with more than 2 telephone lines.
- Over 85% of callers prefer commercials on hold over silence.
Cellular Marketing Magazine
- 1 in 5 respondents made a purchase or a decision based on commercials on hold.
Telemarketing Magazine Survey
The facts are clear: when your customers are on the phone, on hold messaging is critical. Without it, you could lose up to 90% of callers and those people will take their business elsewhere. Lost callers equal lost revenue. Check out our Call Volume Calculator to see how much you could be missing.